First recipe post in months and it is an original. But! There are hardly any pictures because it got too dark and the lighting got bad. Not that you can tell I worry about lighting when I take pictures, but I've got to start trying, so there you go. Still, I'm trying to hurry and get this posted because you are interested.
This recipe was a giant experiment and a thrilling success. I owe the gluten-free part to Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 baking flour. It works magnificently. If you aren't worried about gluten, just use all-purpose flour. The bread retains a really great texture, and is moist and perfect. The dairy-free part comes from using coconut oil instead of butter. I love the slight coconut flavor, but it is very, very subtle. You could use just vegetable oil or butter if you don't have coconut oil.
The biggest motivation in making this bread was I wanted a healthier recipe without 1-2 cups of sugar in one loaf of bread! I know it tastes good, but all the good zucchini bread recipes seem to have at least 1 cup of oil and 2 cups of sugar. Not everyday, but today the very thought of that filled me with guilt! I'm trying to cut back on my sugar, and I also know that if I bake I will eat more than one slice, cookie, or bite. That's the truth. So, I had 2 goals in mind when I made this bread.
- Make deliciously healthy zucchini bread without all that sugar.
- Make deliciously healthy zucchini bread without all that sugar that my family will eat.
The 2 cups of shredded zucchini keep the bread beautifully moist, and the 2 ripe bananas subsidize the reduced amount of sugar. You won't miss that it! My Stella said this was the best bread ever, and she is my most honest kid. Like she'll straight up tell me in a matter-of-fact voice that dinner is gross and she doesn't like it, and feel no remorse. So, if she says the bread is good, the bread is good.
This healthy, gluten and dairy-free zucchini bread recipe takes the cake, if you know what I mean! Next time I may try to cut the sugar down to 1/4 cup, but we'll see what happens. I also like spices, especially nutmeg. If you aren't a fan, play with the spices as you will. One final tip, if I may...I hope there is some of this healthy zucchini bread left for breakfast!
- Really do use room temperature eggs. Cold eggs make the coconut oil harden.
- To quickly bring the eggs to room temperature, heat some water in the microwave for about a minute. Place the eggs in the warm water while you get ready to bake. By the time you are ready, the eggs will be too. :)
Bake the bread. Share the slices.
Healthy Gluten-free, Dairy-free Zucchini Bread
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, softened or room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups flour, Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free 1 to 1 Baking Flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Prepare 9x5 loaf pan with non-stick spray.
- 2. In a large bowl, whisk together sugar and softened coconut oil. Add room temperature eggs.
- 3. Mix in dry ingredients. Add mashed banana and zucchini. Pour into pan.
- 4. Bake for 60 minutes or until center is done and toothpick comes out clean.